Friday, November 26, 2004

Hungover Thanksgiving

It was a wonderful holiday with a slightly bumpy beginning...

Wednesday 11/24 - After we struggled through dinner at our place (see previous) and the family left, Mike and I decided to head over to Cujos for a couple drinks. It was about 11pm - we hardly ever go out that late, but figured if we started drinking late, we'd only have a few hours of sweet alcohol-goodness flowing through our systems, and would be in decent shape for our family's Thanksgiving feast. Oh, the best laid plans...

Cujos was fine, $1.50 wells fixed us up pretty good by 2am and we headed home. Then ... the icy Sam Adams whispered our names. Oh ... and let's not forget the bottle of Llano merlot. Besides lots of story-telling and laughs we also re-watched part of the Willie Nelson and friends special and a bit of the MTV (something or another) awards - some Beastie Boys and some Naz and his old man singing this hot bluesy number which I can't remember the name of now. Jammed out to iTunes cuts for what turned out to be hours. If this better describes the state I was in, I shot a couple dozen pics while spinning around in my office chair trying to master some blurry swirly artsy pics for the blog (didn't work, big surprise). The next thing I know, Mike goes outside for a cigarette and I hear a very sober, "come here". I was expecting a stray cat on the balcony or a neighbor pissing in the bushes, but instead was disheartened to see ... the sun. And not just a slightly pink sky as the sun peeked over the rooftops, but a completely bright blue sky. Ugh. It was 7:40am. It was bad enough that we'd been drinking for 8 hours, but even worse that we had to be at my grandmother's house - rested, showered, and with dinner in hand - in only 5 hours. Holy shit. We were too drunk to process these facts at the moment, so made the most rational decision and drove to McDonalds for a super big deluxe breakfast before heading to bed. Needless to say we showed up a bit late, bloodshot eyes and all, and giggling the whole way. After we were able to scarf down a honeybaked ham, pineapple casserole, cheese rolls, and the best mashed potatoes and gravy in west Texas, it turned out to be a really nice day.

So among other things, this Thanksgiving I am thankful for my incredibly kind grandmother who would never mention that fact that my boyfriend and I smell like a brewery, my wonderful parents who are just so happy when we get together that they wouldn't dare risk a confrontation by asking what we did the previous night, and especially for my extraordinarily bright and handsome boyfriend who can keep me up all night laughing, listening, and hopelessly in love.

No comments: