Sunday, November 28, 2004

Library

This is the Texas Tech library, where I am this very moment (minus the snow - although we are expecting a couple inches tomorrow). Been here a couple hours already, and by my calculations won't be able to get back to my cozy couch until after midnight - even longer if I don't actually start studying! I have a final tomorrow in Child Counseling - 7 chapters of crap like counseling exceptional children, counseling culturally and ethnically diverse youth, and counseling at-risk adolescents. Actually it isn't crap at all, but as I don't have any intention of working with kiddos, this is stuff I'll probably never use (until I have kids of my own, but that is a completely different story). This library has always reminded me of a McDonalds - just can't get past those 'golden arches' in the architecture. It is a really nice library though - Coach Knight donated and raised a ton of cash for the library when he came to Lubbock three years ago and they've made some really spiffy technology upgrades as well as improvements to the building. In fact, about a year ago Coach Knight and his wife donated 700 books from their personal library. He said he believes "the library is the heart and soul of the university." I wouldn't take it that far, but I do wish I'd ventured over here a little more frequently. Maybe I could've earned my undergrad degree in less than 7 years if I'd spent more time here... Oh well, can't look back now... I'm only 12 months away from my master's degree - must stay focused... Back to the books.

No comments: