Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Coleman update

Got 15 minutes? Read this post first. No time? Here's the quick and dirty: This small-town undercover cop named Coleman is an incompetent, corrupt, racist liar. He arrested 46 people, 43 of which were black, on drug charges. But the cop was never able to turn over any drugs, he didn't use surveillance, and there was no fingerprint evidence. He scribbled notes on his knee. Yeah, I know.

Well, many of the cases were dismissed (some folks weren't even in town on the day they allegedly sold drugs to the cop!), and eventually many more were pardoned (after spending 2 years in prison!). And last week Coleman finally came to trial facing 3 perjury charges and up to 30 years in prison.

So here's the update. Coleman was given a 7-year sentence on PROBATION. No prison time whatsoever. I couldn't believe it. After sending 47 people to prison for a total of 750 years with no evidence other than his word (oh I did I mention a former employer also said he had "mental problems"), he only got probation. Ridiculous.

After the sentencing, Coleman summed up by telling the Judge, "I give you my word I'll be there," referring to the probation dept in the small town where the crap hit the fan.

His word, wow, that is just great coming from a 3x convicted perjurer.

No comments: