Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I'm engaged!!

Okay, sorry to spill the beans so quickly, but you would've guessed before the end of the story anyway. So here's how it happened... Ladies, enjoy. Gentlemen, I'll try to have something a little more masculine for you to read about tomorrow.

My boyfriend (ak - fiance now!) told me Thursday he was planning a last-minute trip to Austin for us for the weekend. I guess he never really said so, but I just assumed it was for my birthday. He mentioned we were going to have a nice dinner on Friday, so I took the opportunity to go shopping for something nice. I found a fabulous black suit with some teeny tiny hot pick dots. Also picked up some great Cole Haan black strappy pumps with hot pink piping on sale - haven't bought nice shoes for myself in ages - it felt good. I don't know, I just felt the urge to splurge.

So Friday we drove up to Austin, nice road trip, about 7 hours with stops. We pulled up at the Omni downtown and the valet helped me out of the car. I figured we just had a regular room, but I was shocked to walk in to find a huge suite with 3 balconies, living and dining areas, full kitchen, and an amazing jacuzzi tub. Most gals mighta suspected something about this time, but he's just a generous guy and I'm still thinking it was a birthday treat. So we got fancied up for dinner and headed out on the town.

He took me to the Driskill, a historic landmark built in 1886. It is a magnificent hotel (special significance b/c he stayed in the hotel with his late-grandmother in the early 90's when his sister got married in Austin) with a five-star restaurant. I felt so fancy! We sat in a special booth where every president and first lady since LBJ & Ladybird sat, and every governor of Texas since the late 1800's. You can just feel the history in the place.

I ate the most delicious meal of my life on Friday. Check out Chef Bull's sample menu. How great does this food sound? I had a five course crustacean prix fixe ending with Santa Barbara Spiny Lobster Tail, Lobster Risotto, Pernod Braised Leeks, and Vanilla Apricot Gastrique. Oh man, talk about an orgy in my mouth - I've never had anything like it. So, the meal was extraordinary, but the next few moments were even more spectacular.

The dessert was served on large square plate. I think it was a butternut rum cake, but honestly, I kinda lost it about that time, because on the plate was a beautiful diamond and emerald engagement ring and the words "will you marry me?" written on the plate in chocolate. How romantic is that?! Of course, I said "yes!" So we're engaged!

We spent the rest of the weekend drinking it up on 6th street and in the plush hotel bar, eating more fabulous food, walking around UT, shopping, calling friends and family with the good news, and above all enjoying the bed and jacuzzi!!!

What a fantastic weekend! I'm so thrilled to be in love and engaged to such a wonderful and romantic fella. More on the wedding, the ring, and maybe even some pics in the coming weeks...

No comments: