Monday, March 28, 2005

Dixie

Since so many of us were on a music kick last week - PhoenixNYC, Vegasgustan, ACW and Jesster - I thought folks might find this article interesting.

As you may remember, in March of 2003, Natalie Maines (a Lubbock native, she still has family here) of the Dixie Chicks told an audience in London, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

Loads of radio stations around the country thought they would somehow send a message of disapproval to the Chicks by banning their music. Two years later, this unofficial ban in Lubbock is still in effect. Ugh, this conservative town really ticks me off sometimes.

I think the Dixie Chicks are hugely talented - I loved Fly and Wide Open Spaces - albums that I can listen to anywhere, anytime. Cowboy Take Me Away and Once You've Loved Somebody - gorgeous songs.

Thank goodness for iTunes so I don't have to depend on stupid Lubbock radio to hear the Chicks.

On another musical note, I'm pretty disappointed that Mikalah Gordon was sent home after the American Idol re-vote last week. Don't you know that she's beside herself wondering if she also had the lowest votes on the original vote, or if someone else (like Anthony or Nikko) would've gone home if only the graphics dude had got the numbers right on Tuesday night. Poor Mikalah.

No comments: