Monday, September 19, 2005

More nano news

Last Saturday I had a ton of things on my to-do list. I didn't complete hardly any of them (stupid hangover), but on a whim TBF and I stopped by CompUSA to check out the newest iPod nano that all the cool kids were buzzing about.

The sales guy initially said they wouldn't get any in until Monday or Tuesday, and I was a little disappointed because I really wanted to see how small it was. But he came out with his manager a couple minutes later with 4 little black boxes in his hand. My guess is other employees had these on hold until payday or something, but his conscious got the best of him, and he decided to share with us piddling customers.

So he took the nano out of the box, and OMG, it was so freaking tiny and delicate. I treated it like a newborn - I was almost afraid to take the little nano baby from him. But I did. And I hate to admit I'm such an easy sale, but the moment I held it, I was hooked. I told him I'd have to think about it, and handed it back over the sales guy, but within about 2.7 minutes I decided that it was going to be mine!

They only had the white ones in stock, and I decided to go for the cheaper 2 gig (I still have my massive 20 gig for all the tunes, documents, and pics I can stand). And it is fabulous.

The charger for the old iPod (w/ dock) works, but none of the rest of the accessories do. Namely, the AirPlay which allowed me to listed to my iPod over the radio frequency at work. But no biggie, I'm sure it won't be more than a month until there are loads of accessories available.

It's tiny, but tough. Same great click wheel (although is a little sensitive at times). The color screen is fantastic - I love having my fave pics with me to show off to friends. I added pics of the artist or playlist theme to all my playlists (instead of trying to find the art from each individual album, who has the time?!). Still using my old Sony headphones which are a million times better than the crappy ear buds that are still sold with the iPod products. I found the perfect carrying case by Moshi - this super soft drawstring pouch made for the iPod mini is just the right size for the nano and has an outside pocket to carry headphones (or room for DL and credit card for trips to the gym, etc).

My recommendation? If you already have loads of songs on your iTunes (I have about 2800 songs now), it's kinda hard to narrow down which playlists and podcasts to put on the 2 gig nano, but if you plan to use the nano just for the gym or going to class or on a flight or while studying ... oh wait ... no matter what you do, it is freaking sweet. Almost too cool for words. Get it. Or add it on your Christmas list. Fabulous.

No comments: