Monday, February 26, 2007

oscar recap

I can't recall the last time I sat through an entire awards show, or any four-hour program for that matter. But I didn't have much else going on last night, and really enjoyed the Academy Awards. So here goes, my first (and likely last) ever Oscar highlights in the book of TB.

In the matter of time, I think they could have cut back on a few of the montages, and the Jack Black/Will Farrell song - even though I heart John C Reilly, it did nothing for me. Ellen was a pretty good hostess (I loved that white tux), although I would've liked to see more standup and less crowd interaction from her. Maybe she had a great zinger saved for the end but all they had time for was that "Thank You! Goodnight!"

I was most excited to see Jennifer Hudson win for best supporting actress - what a heartfelt thank you speech. Gorgeous stage performance too - great job Dreamgirls! And Jennifer in that red dress - HOT! Imagine going from an American Idol reject (too harsh?) to winning an Oscar in less than a year. I'm so proud of her. I was equally moved by Forest Whitaker's speech, nice that he took a moment to share his motivation to act and his dream to touch people through his gift.

I think The Departed for Best Picture was a fantastic choice. Of course, it was one of the only two movies I saw in this year's category, so I'm biased. But I loved the crap out of that movie. And good for Scorsese - well deserved, man.

The dancers were incredible!! (Per? Par? Porabolas?? P-something or another.) Especially loved that penguin interlude for Happy Feet - too cute - I just can't imagine how they do it.

And as for fashion, which normally is the only thing I care about at awards shows... Cate Blanchett was my numero uno pick - she is so freaking elegant and refined (nice contrast to myself who just used the word "freaking" to describe something beautiful) - just stunning in that shimmery silvery number. Beautiful silhouette. Love her. Reese Witherspoon - gorgeous as always - Ryan Phillipe is a fool. Naomi Watts - super sweet and just lovely. I want to go on a picnic with her. And I never thought I'd say this, but Jennifer Lopez looked really classy as well, that flowy Grecian thing really worked for her. I didn't hear anyone say, were those diamonds encrusted on the top?!!!

Running out of time here, so will make this quick: My only yucks - Kristen Dunst (a collar on an evening gown?!), Cameron Diaz (it looked so uh, Max Headroom!) and Gwenyth (salmon gauze?! Ugh).

Can't wait until they make it to the top of my Blockbuster Queue: Pan's Labyrinth, The Queen, King of Scotland, Half Nelson, Babel.

1 comment:

Glitzy said...

I didn't see the Oscars but saw the E Fashion Police show. Cate Blanchett looked incredible. So did Helen Mirren (sp?).

I don't think JLo's jeweled top was actual diamonds. (The fashion police folks didn't fuss about it)

I agree with your yucks compeletely.