Tuesday, November 9, 2004

Defensive driving

I had to spend my entire work day in defensive driving. No, I didn't get a ticket. Actually I've been fortunate enough not to get a traffic ticket in at least 8 or 9 years ... however I must admit I more than made up for the recent lapse in my younger days with about 7 speeding tickets, 2 tickets for too-dark tint (in Big Spring on the way home, and then again in the same town in my way back to school 2 days later!), and 3 accidents (two very minor, and one major where I wasn't even driving but MY beautiful Honda was totaled - bastard driver). Anyway, this time I was required to go because my job finally got us some company cars. Of course we have about 80 employees and only 3 cars, so the chance of me ever driving one is pretty slim. Nevertheless, we all had to take the course, and pass the test, to at least get company-car privileges. The married couple who taught the course were both retired elementary school teachers, very sweet, but so ... well ... "teacher-y". They wore matching vests and bolo ties, and recited lots of the old Burma-shave road sign ads from the 40's such as:
NO MATTER THE PRICE
NO MATTER HOW NEW
THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
IN THE CAR IS YOU
Ugh. It was a long day to say the least, but hey, at least I'll get an automatic 10% insurance discount.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! You've got a real knack for writing , keep on rockin! I will definitely be checking in here again soon.

This post sure got my attention - I'll spread the word about it to my friends. Sure you won't mind a few more eyeballs on your work from the four corners of the earth? :-) Thanks for a great read!