Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Rent!

Mike and I went to see a touring company perform Rent last night. I know it got rave reviews on Broadway for years, but I'd never seen it or even heard the songs. In fact, I wasn't even familiar with the story, other than it was about some young New Yorkers with AIDS, and that the writer died suddenly just before the show's debut. I went in with an open mind, and was absolutely blown away. I must confess, I've always been a sucker for musicals (Cats, Phantom, Grease, Les Mis, Camelot, West Side Story), and I've certainly added this to the list of my favorites.

This cast was incredibly talented. I was blown away by the vocal performances of both Adrienne Fishe (Joanne) and Marcus Paul James (Collins). Seeing a great show like this always makes me wonder why I didn't stay in dance classes after high school or somehow get involved in theatre in college. There was even a girl who graduated from Tech in this show - she was in the chorus, but hey that ain't too shabby for a Tech BFA graduate.

My favorite songs: Take Me or Leave Me (Joanne and Maureen's break-up song), La Vie Boheme (amazing rendition of the character's inspirations in life - musicians, poets, directors, comedians, philosophers), and Seasons of Love (yeah, I'm not embarrassed, I shed a couple tears here). I'm burning up my iPod with this soundtrack.

There is no day like today.

No comments: