Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Dinner disaster in the making?

I'm making the boldest of cooking moves this week. I'm trying out a brand new recipe on family on the day before Thanksgiving. We're having my grandmother and my parents to our place tomorrow. Since we're doing a traditional meal on Thursday, I wanted to try out something out of the ordinary. Although my boyfriend is a magnificent cook, and he could whip up any of a dozen delicious meals without even thinking about it, for some reason, I decided this one needed to be different ... and boy is it going to be different. I found several recipes like it online, but this is the one I'm using:

Cranberry-Ginger Pork Roast

4-lb pork loin roast
1 c. fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/4 c. sugar-free pancake syrup
1 can chipotle en adobo, chopped
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

In a small bowl mix cranberries, syrup, chipotle, ginger, salt and pepper. Place roast in crock pot and rub with mixture. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.

I must confess now that I've never in my life made a recipe exactly as called for - it's a curse I inherited from my mother - I always feel like it needs just a little ... something ... more. I added 1/2 chopped onion, another 1/4 cup of cranberries, some garlic, and of course a dash of Dave's Insanity - no dish is complete without it. I think some dry or dijon mustard would've been good too, but I didn't have any.

I'm all about the crock pot - since I have to work tomorrow it will be almost ready by the time I get home. The cranberries and ginger just sounded so ... Thanksgiving-y! Mike almost varmited when I told him about the pancake syrup in it. I know it sounds nuts, but I'm really hoping the tart, sweet, and spicy flavors combine in the pot as nicely as they do in my head. Wish me luck...

1 comment:

aome said...

This sounds like a great recipe...on my blog I've got a tasty one for pumpkin flan...:)