Sunday, December 5, 2004

Christmas preparations


I read a funny Dave Barry column this morning about how men shop for Christmas presents, and how proof goes back to the three wise men showing up in Bethlehem with gold, frankincense and myrrh:


So the Wise Men showed up at the manger, handed their baby gifts to Mary, and headed for the eggnog. Mary looked at the gifts -- which were not wrapped, nor were they accompanied by cards -- rolled her eyes, tossed the gum resins to the goats (which ate them) and said: ''Next Christmas, we are going to have some gift-giving RULES.'' But the Wise Men didn't hear her, because by then they were over by the crib trying to teach the Baby Jesus to pull their finger.
However, I'll be the first to say that I am not super-prepared for Christmas this year. I've picked up a couple little gifts here and there while we're traveling, but certainly don't have anything wrapped and in the mail. In fact, I've handmade our Christmas cards the past couple years (and I must admit they were pretty impressive!), but just don't think I'm going to have time this season. Maybe next weekend I will finalize my gift list and hit the mall... Today, I have to write a paper for class...

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Rene, I know - my mom is a breeze (she'll come right out and tell ya what she wants), but my dad is tough too - I usually wind up burning a few CDs and trying to guess what sort of power tool he might not own yet.

How'd you learn to knit? I just to cross-stitch a lot but just can't seem to find the time anymore...