Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Do you know your ethnicity?

Today I was reviewing an offender's data sheet before his plea (does he live in our neighborhood? work at my favorite restaurant?). Name, Address, Employment - nothing of interest. But then I get down to Ethnicity.

In the Ethnicity blank he wrote:

Christian (Methodist)


ahahahaha *cough* haha *gulp* hahahaha *spit*

Now usually this would just be a sad case of an under-educated offender. Not a problem for me - kids drop out of school to take care of their own families, when things are fucked up at home, for financial reasons, addictions, etc - sometimes school just isn't a priority and when you are a kid you are just too young to realize (or care) how it may affect you in the future...

But I digress. THIS particular dude is not an under-educated bum. He is a junior.in.college. A white upper-class male who's father is an attorney. In fact, he attends the same outstanding institution at which I'm completing my master's program.

I don't know, is this a negative reflection on me - that someone could get through three years of college, at my university, and not know the difference between ethnicity and religion?! I am not pleased.

No comments: