Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Super new job

Well, not a super new job, it's more like a return to an old job. Last June I was promoted to a new position in a new building. And last month I requested a transfer back. It isn't that I didn't enjoy the new position - my new coworkers are a blast and the work is relatively simple - but due to school, my funky class hours (in the middle of the day - noon to 2!), and trying to get all these internship hours squeezed in, I couldn't work the inflexible 8-5 job AND finish grad school. My partner in crime in the district courts was promoted to supervisor, so they recently chose replacements for both of us. Here's last week's email from our director:

Congratulations are in order for E. and M. They've been selected to replace J. (who is now a supervisor) and TB (who is returning to the supervision of a caseload). [blah, blah, more wonderful details about our replacements.]

As part of this change, TB will now be taking on one of the CCF/Substance Abuse caseloads, and A. will be taking over M's SAFPF caseload. (A word of thanks and a round of applause goes to A. for assisting in this!) We will be trying to arrange things so TB can work with our new counselor, N., as TB pursues her studies to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).

Sounds all well and good, but there is drama. I'm absolutely thrilled that upper management sees how my education and training can be of benefit to the department, and that they are being incredibly flexible with my requests.

However, a couple of others in the department are not so pleased. The word is that they feel that mngt is catering to me because I'm in school (ah, the benefits of higher education - all these $student loans$ better get me somewhere!). Some feel that mngt has an "agenda". I honestly don't know exactly what this so-called hidden agenda is, and maybe I am a part of it, but sobeit.

What may not be clear from the email is that when they thank A. for assisting, what they really mean is that she is being forced out of her old position... to make room for me. My director informed me that he wants to change the dynamics of treatment. He wants there to be more focus on internal issues and conflicts, investigation into offender's thoughts and feelings leading to use, and treatment of the primary cognitive dysfunction not just the presenting behavior. Walla - counseling!

Evidently he's aware that the tried and true ways of bitching and yelling at offenders, "stop smoking crack or you'll go to prison for 8 years!" just doesn't cut it. For habitual criminal offenders, the threat of incarceration doesn't work. That we know.

I start training my replacement tomorrow, we'll move into our new offices on Friday, and officially start our new positions on Monday. I'm a bit nervous. I haven't worked a caseload in over a year, and I'm not completely sure what is expected of me in this new position. And even more nerve wrecking, everyone is watching ... and expecting results.

No comments: