Wednesday, June 8, 2005

Roswell, NM


TBF and I had an absolutely perfect weekend. Around noon on Friday we decided to take a little trip up the road to Roswell. I had a friend ask me, "What in the world do you do in Roswell?" (Are you familiar with Roswell, New Mexico? It's the site of the 1947 UFO crash, or "weather balloon landing" if you are a non-believer). Anyway, you might think there isn't a lot to do there. There is a mediocre museum and a ton of crappy big-eyed green-headed alien gift shops on the main drag. Oh, but there is so much more to Roswell.

Here's the synopsis of our weekend. Short drive (compared to Texas standards) - got there in 3 hours (plus gaining an hour on the way!). Very cheap and perfectly adequate $29 motel room. Friday night we went to Farley's (horrible service, don't waste your time!), then on to a quaint little country dance bar with a fantastic disco saddle*. Ate lots of super tasty world-class Mexican food. We hung out at the pool and caught some rays on Saturday afternoon. Went to a charming wine tasting room with live band on Saturday night, and came home with delicious New Mexico wine. Watched a movie after lunch on Sunday. Leisurely drive home, stopping to take pics (got some great cactus flower shots, above).

*I know I will forever be viewed as white-trash for saying this, but what I wouldn't do to own a disco saddle! I don't know what I'd do with it, maybe put it up in the garage and spin around to some old George Strait tunes when no one is home? Oh well, judge me if you must, that thing was sweet.

No comments: