Monday, December 19, 2005

Credentials

I've been a bit out of touch, okay waaaay out of touch. So sorry!

BUT this is what I've been up to: GETTING MY MASTER'S DEGREE!! After less than 2 1/2 years I completed 48-hours of Community Counseling courses and 700 hours of practicum and internship, while working full time.

Friday night we went to a Pinning and Medallion ceremony at the Merket Alumni Center where the friends and family of the graduates were honored and we were presented with a COE medallion to also wear at graduation. After that we went to Cafe J's to celebrate with a Fuzzytini and a couple bottles of merlot.

Graduation was Saturday. I was so proud to wear my medallion and my honor cords to the ceremony (I guarantee it was a miracle I got through undergrad, and I certainly never excelled!). I've come a long way! TBF, my parents, and my grandmother were there to celebrate with me - we ate at Texas Roadhouse afterwards (best prime rib in the universe!), went to Holland Gardens (an amazing local Christmas store) and Target, then home to open a couple presents. TBF got me one of the fantastic diploma frames, and my folks got me a great ivy green TravelPro luggage. Love it!

Today I changed my work email signature to:
Texas Biscuit, M.Ed.
How awesome is that?!! And soon to have an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) to follow that.

The craziest part about the whole thing is how fast the past couple years went by. If I'd decided that getting my master's was too hard or too time-consuming or whatever, I would've been stuck at the same job with the same credentials and the same experience. And now, here I am, time passing either way, and I have a master's degree. It wasn't easy, but it sure was worth it.

No comments: