Sunday, February 18, 2007

faking it


Can you tell if your partner is faking it? Their smile, that is. Found this fun little survey on the BBC's website. Surprisingly, I got 20 out of 20 correct when watching a short video clip of a person smiling and guessing if it is "genuine" or "fake". Guess it's the counselor in me digging for honest emotion in my clients.

The site says: Most people are surprisingly bad at spotting fake smiles. One possible explanation for this is that it may be easier for people to get along if they don't always know what others are really feeling.

Have a few minutes to spare? Take the quiz here.

3 comments:

thephoenixnyc said...

Intersting. I got 14 out of 20 right, so I guess that's not bad. I decided to use the eyes as my focus, not the smile. At the end the explanation said that was a good place to look.

How on earth did you get 20 of 20?

Lauren said...

Luck?? I totally based it on the wrinkles at the corners of their eyes. And towards the end started watching how quickly the smile faded, and what their "regular" face expressed (friendly, bitter, etc).

Amy said...

Crap! I SO thought I'd do good on this one. I've always thought it was in the eyes. But I only got 8 out of 20 smiles correct.

I bet this is one good indicator of how gullible and naive a person is: someone who answers "Oh! I'm TOTALLY optimistic!" and "Oh yeah! I can spot a real and a fake smile EASY PEASY!" and then only gets 8 out of 20 right.

I'm soooo gonna get taken one of these days.